This room was a versatile space used for special family meals and as a "family room" during poor weather. The children did their homework at the table (then covered with a green baize cloth) and when the weather was bad they could play the games of the day. When the door to the kitchen was open, this room collected heat generated by the kitchen stove: it was a comfortable place to be.
The Roedde family traditionally displayed a German style Christmas tree in the bay window. Lit by candles, the tree caught fire in January 1913. A quick response from Fire Hall No. 6 (on nearby Nicola Street) contained the fire to the ceiling and nearby wood mouldings. The restoration of the damage explains the later Edwardian Arts and Crafts appearance of this room. The wine buckram, filling the recessed fir panels on the walls, is homage to Gustav's trade as a bookbinder and was supplied by G.A. Roedde Printers.